Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Waitomo Caves, New Zealand.


Waitomo.

Waitomo is famous for its glow worm caves. There are a few companies that'll offer to take you down into the caves on a tour known as 'blackwater rafting'. You basically take a rubber ring down with you and 'float' along in the darkness. If only. Yet again the adrenaline was racing through my veins! There had been heavy rain just before we booked our trip so the water levels inside the cave were pretty high, and rising. The water sounded so angry when we first got in, I felt that we were only going to provoke matters by going further in!


Stepping into the cave. Full wetsuits. They even gave us thermals to wear underneath. The water was really cold!

We had to jump off these waterfalls... oh dear. You have to stick your bum into the hole of the rubber ring and jump into the water backwards. I kept capsizing as soon as I landed! The water was just so ferocious. One waterfall even sucked me back into it. I think the guys knew that it was a little risky as the group sizes are usually around 13 and they take one guide. We were only three and we had two guides. Both guides had to dive in after me numerous times! I think they were surprised that I didn't wimp out after the first time i got my head wet. I was pretty scared though, almost cried at some points. The water was so loud you had to shout at each other to even hear yourselves!


There was also a tight squeeze to get through and one of those sections where you have to push yourself underwater to get to the next cavern about six foot away. Definately the stuff of nightmares. It makes me judder to think of it all now!

Reena looking pretty scared!


By the end of the trip you just float along pretty calmly in the water, but shiverring due to the cold... and then you see the light at the end of the tunnel. It was such a welcoming sight. I couldn't wait to get out of that place! Never again.


Just about to walk out of the cave - how happy do I look?! I didn't know I had that big lump of foam on my head!

No comments: