Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Auckland, New Zealand.


Auckland

So we headed back up to Auckland once we met up with Nina, another friend from high school. It was great to see her again and to catch up. She'll be living and working in Auckland for the next year. Lucky girl!


Nina and Reena



Nina and I - that wig isn't mine...


This is the sky tower in Auckland. It's 328m and stands as the highest structure in the southern hemisphere. As a birthday present I was surprised with a base jump from the building! Its a cable controlled base jump from 192m (the highest jump inNZ). The fall is about 11 seconds and reaches 85 km/hr. I was absolutely petrified. It took me about an hour of internal deliberation to actually get myself to even contemplate stepping off the building! But i got kitted out in the end and headed up in the lift...


The Sky Tower, Auckland.


Here's me at the top. I look like i'm smiling. I am but its through the tears! I actually was crying up there. I wasn't even sure I was going to jump at that point. I felt so sorry for that girl standing next to me. She wanted me to jump off backwards... no way!! She seemed to think that was easier. I dont think so!



I finally stepped off the building after the second count down and another prayer! As soon as you jump they put the brakes on and you dangle 10m from the top to take the photos. I was supposed to let go of my harness and swing around to get the perfect shot. No chance! Hence the awkward looking photo, but it proves that i did it! The next thing I heard was "see ya!", and i went hurtling towards the ground! There's no bounce like a bungee. You just smoothly slow in the last few metres and land gracefully(ish) on your feet. Phew, it was over! An amazing challenge, and I'm so glad I stepped up to it. I dont believe I did it even now!

We got free tickets after the jump to go up to the observation deck in the tower. You can see the spot on which I landed through the glass - the red bullseye. Small target from so high up!


We stayed until sunset. A great view over Auckland.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, long time no hear (read), great blog and it made me want to go on that jump, well, probably wouldn't say the same when I am standing out there.
So, you left marty for chile, looking forward to your next posting :)

Rebecca said...

There is still so much to post in NZ before I get to posting Chile! And we´re leaving Chile tomorrow... Too much to do - argh!