Friday, April 13, 2007

Seven days in Tibet...


The Friendship Highway connecting Nepal with Tibet. We had a Toyota Landcruiser for the journey. There weren't any seatbelts in the back. I was a bit concerned about that!


So we finally arrived in Lhasa, Tibet after a five day drive. When we left Kathmandu, our tour operator said to us 'cos you're cute, you'll have the jeep!'. We didn't realise the significance of this statement until a few days into the tour. There were over 50 people on the tour, but not enough jeeps to accomodate us all. People had paid the same as us and even more, but were piled onto buses! Reena and I, and the two Icelandic girls that were travelling with us, were the only ones who got the jeep for the whole journey - and you needed a jeep too.. the road was unpaved for much of the way. We also got our own private guide for the trip, although he didn't always appear to know what he was talking about. There are some benefits to being girls!


Its a fake lake - spot the dam? But it was still stunning. It was the first mass of water we'd seen in ages.


Again we've been surviving at high altitude. The Tibetan Plateau altitude is between 3000m - 4000m, with passes over 5000m. Its cold, oxygen is scarce, food unappealing, hot showers elusive, I'm craving civilisation at sea level - can you tell?!! For most of the drive Tibet appeared to be such a desolate, barren landscape. There was very little vegetation, and if there was it was a dirty yellow brown colour and no larger than a small shrub. If I had to stay much longer in this area of the world I'm sure I'd get depressed. I was dreaming of the lush, green of England. I wouldn't have even minded Hyde Park!


Apparently China is famous for communal toilets. I have now offically shared my first communal wee with a stranger! If you look close enough you can see the poo splaterring in the left hole in the floor. I tried to avoid that one!


Saying that though I've been very pleasantly surprised by Lhasa - there are parks and trees here. Yay! There are countless shops and supermarkets.  The streets are also much cleaner here, the sun shines and there are plenty more sights to see.


Potala Palace



Climbing up to the Palace



View over Lhasa from the Jokhang Temple - see the green?!



More green!


Religion is a big deal in Tibet. We've visited many Monasteries and Temples. The more I hear about Bhuddism the more convoluted it becomes. I didn't realise there are hundreds of Bhuddas. When you visit the Monasteries there are thousands of statues and paintings, some of which are pretty scary looking. I kept thinking that one of these sites would be briliant for a horror movie. At the Kumbum Chorten in Gyantse there were these little rooms that you'd walk into. There'd be no light, and as you walk in you are faced by this frightening creature that send a chill down your back. It reminded me of the scene in sixth sense when the boy is walking up the staircase to the little boxed off room where he hears the voice calling him. I was always petrified that the door would slam shut behind me locking me in with the creepy statue! I'd always make sure Reena went in first!!


Tashinlungpo Monastery. This building contained the dead preserved body of the 10th Panchen Lama. You couldn't see it though. It was hidden inside a big gold box. They have sooo much gold here in Tibet.



The Kumbum Chorten in Gyantse. You were able to walk around every tier.



Two of the four Kings that guard the entrances to the Temples and Monasteries.



Three old ladies at the Drepung Monastery that told our guide off cos he was taking us round the wrong way. They presently took us round the right way!




We went to the Sera Monastery today and saw these monks. They were debating about which of the four religions of Tibet are the best. I think this is one of the highlights of the Tibet tour. I could have watched them all day!



These two made me giggle!



Solveig and Inga, the two Icelandic girls we travelled with.


We leave tomorrow... We managed to book our tickets for the train to Beijing. It should take about two days to get there.

No comments: